10 Incredible facts about your skin
Posted on 31 October 2016
Given that 90% of the visible signs of ageing are caused by sun damage, not the number of candles on your next birthday cake, having the best possible skin comes down to reducing sun damage!
I find this an incredible statistic - 90% of the visible signs of ageing can be avoided by being sun smart.
Other than our need to be sun smart, here are 10 incredible quirky things about the skin you live in that may surprise you…
- Skin is the human body’s large organ
- The average skin, when stretched out is 2 square meters
- Skin accounts for around 15% of your body weight
- The thinnest skin is found on your eye-lid (0.4mm)
- The thickest skin is on your feet (1.4mm)
- Every bit of your skin is purpose build for your body – the stretchiness and strength of your skin on your knuckles is different to the skin on your tummy
- Every 28 days your skin renews itself
- A body hair will grow for 2-6 years
- Over 50% of the dust you just sucked up in your vacuum cleaner is actually dead skin
- By the age of 15, Australian children have an average of more than 50 moles.
Now... time to head to trivia night at the local pub - what are the chances they have a quirky skin facts round? #onecanalwayshope